AFS Standard Methods for Sampling North American Freshwater Fish Compare Your Data to Other Data Sets! Check out the article on this tool in the December issue of Fisheries.
Climate Science Center Review Team The American Fisheries Society and the Human Dimensions Research Unit of Cornell University have been engaged by the National Climate Change and Wildlife Science Center (NCCWSC) to conduct 5-year reviews of the eight DOI Climate Science Centers (CSC)
Ron Essig Becomes President of the American Fisheries Society The Society welcomes Ron Essig as its new president!
New Book: Mangroves as Fish Habitat An updated look at mangrove fishery linkages, community ecology and connectivity, ecological services of mangroves, and potential impacts from climate change.
Special Section: Hatcheries and Management of Aquatic Resources (HaMAR) Concurrent with the development of the guidance document (contained in the introduction to the special section and titled “Considerations for Use of Hatcheries and Hatchery-Origin Fish”), some of the HaMAR-related symposium presentations were peer-reviewed and are published in this special section of the journal.
New Book: Managing the Impacts of Human Activities on Fish Habitat Fish species and their habitat are under threat from the impact of overfishing, pollution, and development. This book reviews the science, governance, and practice of assessing and managing these impacts, including use of ecosystem-based approaches.
AFS Letter on Wisconsin Budget Situation Proposed Budget Undermines Critical Fish and Wildlife Research and Training Programs
Fisheries Degrees—List of North American Colleges and Universities The AFS Special Committee on Educational Requirements has completed a final draft of a list of North American colleges and universities that offer degrees in fisheries related disciplines.
JOIN NOW! The incredible diversity of the Society’s membership and the many scientific and professional subdivisions of the field of fisheries science and management that makes membership such a value. AFS was the first society of fisheries professionals, and with a current membership of 9,000, it is the largest such organization. Join now!
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP If you are an AFS member, you have exclusive access to content such as: Fisheries Magazine issues from 2005 – present, videos, such as the business video from our annual meeting, and reports, minutes, and the briefing book of the Governing Board. You can access all of this content at our members only page.
The American Fisheries Society (AFS) is the world’s oldest and largest organization dedicated to strengthening the fisheries profession, advancing fisheries science, and conserving fisheries resources.
RECENT FISHERIES NEWS
- Climate Science Center Review TeamMember Solicitation The American...
- AFS Seeks Journal EditorAFS Seeks Journal Editor The Ame...
- RON ESSIG BECOMES PRESIDENT OF AMERICAN FISHERIES SOCIETYFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 19,...
- MEDIA ADVISORY: Fishery Experts Focus on Managing Ecosystems Under StressCONTACT: Erik Robinson, The Pew...
- New Book: Mangroves as Fish HabitatWith the continuing destruction...
- Predicting the Stability of Endangered Stonecats in the LaPlatte River, Vermont
- Comparison of Visual Survey and Mark–Recapture Population Estimates of a Benthic Fish in Hawaii
- Hakes: Biology and Exploitation. Edited by H. Arancibia. Wiley-Blackwell
- Scale-Dependent Seasonal Pool Habitat Use by Sympatric Wild Brook Trout and Brown Trout Populations
- Avian Predation on Juvenile Salmonids: Spatial and Temporal Analysis Based on Acoustic and Passive Integrated Transponder Tags
- Growth and Fatty Acid Composition of Two Strains of Arctic Char Fed Diets Formulated with Low Fish Oil Inclusion in a Recirculating Aquaculture System
- Design and Testing of a Mesocosm-Scale Habitat for Culturing the Endangered Devils Hole Pupfish
- Ploidy Variation and Viability of Aneuploid Ornamental Koi Carp Obtained by Crossing Triploid Females with Diploid Males
- Inheritance of Red Eyes in Ornamental Koi Carp
- Use of Copper Sulfate to Control Egg Saprolegniasis at a Commercial Sunshine Bass Hatchery
- Seasonal and Diel Bathythermal Distributions of Lake Whitefish in Lake Huron: Potential Implications for Lake Trout Bycatch in Commercial Fisheries
- Lethal Stomach Content Collection Methods Reduce Detection of Zooplankton Prey of Juvenile Largemouth Bass Compared with Nonlethal Methods
- Status after 5 Years of Survival Compliance Testing in the Federal Columbia River Power System (FCRPS)
- Measuring the Relationship between Sportfishing Trip Expenditures and Anglers’ Species Preferences
- Understanding and Predicting Size Selection in Diamond-Mesh Cod Ends for Danish Seining: A Study Based on Sea Trials and Computer Simulations
- Stock-Specific Size and Migration of Juvenile Coho Salmon in British Columbia and Southeast Alaska Waters
- Effects of Cold Winters on the Genetic Diversity of an Estuarine Fish, the Spotted Seatrout
- Diel Variations in Survey Catch Rates and Survey Catchability of Spiny Dogfish and their Pelagic Prey in the Northeast U.S. Continental Shelf Large Marine Ecosystem
- Evaluation of Alternatives to Winter Closure of Black Sea Bass Pot Gear: Projected Impacts on Catch and Risk of Entanglement with North Atlantic Right Whales Eubalaena glacialis
- Isolation of the Fathead Minnow Nidovirus from Muskellunge Experiencing Lingering Mortality
- Rhabdomyosarcoma in a Silver Carp
- Susceptibility of Australian Redfin Perch Perca fluviatilis Experimentally Challenged with Epizootic Hematopoietic Necrosis Virus (EHNV)
- Use of Polymerase Chain Reaction for Bivalve Pathogen Surveillance in the Yellow Clam Mesodesma mactroides
- Infected Donor Biomass and Active Feeding Increase Waterborne Transmission of Ichthyophonus sp. to Rainbow Trout Sentinels